Bartons

Bartons

Monday, October 31, 2011

Doughnut Recipe

Ingredients:
2 pkg. yeast
1/2 cup luke warm water
1 1/2 cup hot water (I use the water that I used to boil the potato)
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup riced potato (usually 1 large potato boiled then grated very fine)
3 tsp. salt
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup soft shortening (Crisco)
6 - 8 cups sifted flour
Add the yeast to the luke warm water and let grow.
Mix the hot water, powdered milk, sugar, potato, salt, eggs, shortening in a large bowl.
Add yeast/water mixture and 3 cups flour
Mix well and let rest 15 minutes
Add enough more flour to make a soft dough
Let rise until double in bulk in a draft free space. I cover with plastic or put in large tupperware. (about 1 hour)
Pour out onto floured counter and kneed in more flour until it forms a soft ball.
Let rise again (about 1 hour)
Place on foured counter and roll out to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick (I only do about 1/2 of the dough at a time). Cut into doughnuts and let rise. Usually by the time I get all of the dough cut out the first ones are ready to cook.
Cook in hot oil (about 375 - 400  you know the oil is hot enough when a small piece of dough floats to the top and the oil bubbles around it) - turn over when lightly browned and cook the other side. Be very careful not to get the hot oil on you or anyone else. Don't let it spill over onto the burners of the stove. I like to use my electric fry pan. It keeps the heat more even and I can control it better.
While hot either dunk in glaze (powdered sugar mixed with little butter, vanilla, and hot water) or cinnamon and sugar mixture.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh! I found your blog! I am such a stalker. Love what I'm seeing!! (especially the donuts and cute baby). See you Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete